The most popular video streaming and sharing site of them all, YouTube has been at the forefront of the cultural revolution of recent years, changing the way we view media and introducing the world to countless content creators across fields of science, beauty, gaming, and more.
It’s a site filled with endless hours of user-created content, and in recent years, we’ve seen YouTube evolving and enhancing its services to incorporate exclusive shows and web-series too. Sadly, not all of the content on YouTube is universally available. Some videos can be blocked in certain territories or regions, but a VPN can solve this problem.
With a VPN dedicated to streaming, you’re able to hide your IP address and appear to be from a different part of the world, bypassing YouTube’s geo-restrictions and enjoying all the content you crave without any limitations.
Read on to learn about the best VPNs for YouTube.
So why do you need VPNs For YouTube?
So why exactly would you need a VPN for YouTube in the first place? Well, the sad fact of the matter is that even YouTube is one of the most popular and widely-used websites in the world for education, entertainment, and more, we’re starting to see more and more of its content being blocked in various countries and regions around the world.
Countries like China and Iran, for example, have been known to block websites like YouTube, Netflix, and Disney+, and even in Western nations, businesses and schools can block YouTube to prevent students and workers from using bandwidth and accessing videos instead of working or studying. With recent developments in law regarded internet content, even more, YouTube videos are set to be blocked in the months and years ahead.
A VPN for YouTube can bypass all of these blocks by hiding your device’s IP address and replacing it with a new one, making it seem as though you are visiting the site from a different location entirely, thereby getting around any blocks that might be in place. This can help you break through work encryption or geo-restrictions.
Why Is YouTube Content Being Blocked?
There are various reasons why you might try to load up a YouTube video and see a message stating that it has been blocked. For example, you might be working in an office that has chosen to enforce a YouTube blocking system to prevent workers from getting distracted with videos during the day.
You might also be trying to access content that has strict copyright rules preventing it from being viewable in your region. If you’re on vacation or living in a country with strict laws around online content and censorship, you might simply be blocked from videos that the ruling classes don’t agree with, for political or social reasons.
Even in countries that are more liberal, some content can be blocked due to rights and ownership issues. There are lots of videos that get claimed by different news organizations, for example, so if a video is owned by a news network in Australia, it might not be viewable in the US.
Who Is Blocking YouTube Videos?
There are various groups of people that may be responsible for blocking YouTube content.
- Creators – One of these groups is the creators of the content themselves. Creators have the right to choose who gets to view their videos, so they might decide to limit viewing to certain regions or countries.
- Governments – Governments can also be behind YouTube blocks, choosing to censor or prevent access to certain videos. This is very common in countries like China and North Korea, for example, and other places with strict and conservative views. Read more about how to unblock content from china
- YouTube – YouTube itself could be behind the blocking of videos you want to watch too. It has a rating system and some videos are deemed to be only suitable for adults, so users who are believed to be young may be blocked from viewing them.
- Rights Holders – Rightsholders are another big group responsible for blocking YouTube videos. This can include news organizations, movie companies, record companies, and more. If a piece of their content appears in a clip and they haven’t provided permission, they may request for the video to be taken down or blocked in certain places.
Short in time? here’s a quick summary of the best VPNs for unblocking YouTube
- Best overall deal: 12 months + 3 months FREE
- Unrestricted access to Netflix
- Works in China
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 24/7 customer support
- Connect to more than 90 countries
- Allows P2P/Torrenting
- Uses 256-bit AES encryption
- Unlimited access to video, social media, music, and games
- The fastest and most secure VPN
How Do I Unblock YouTube Videos With a VPN?
A VPN is one of the best ways to unblock YouTube and view all the videos you want, safely and anonymously, without any risks.
With a VPN in place on your computer, laptop, phone, or other devices, you’ll be able to hide your IP address and get around the various geo-restrictions that are in place on the YouTube platform.
With a good quality VPN, you’ll be able to access servers around the world and view any videos you like, regardless of region. For example, if you live in China and want to access YouTube videos from America, you’ll be able to connect to a secure US server through your VPN and then view the content you want.
Read More: Unblock Sites on China
The best VPNs for Streaming work anywhere, in any region, and on any device, completely opening up the YouTube platform to their users. The specific process for using each one can vary, but in general, all you need to do to unblock YouTube with a VPN is download a VPN you can trust, hit the connect button, and then load up YouTube.
Other Ways to Unblock YouTube Videos
As well as using a VPN to unblock YouTube content, you can try out a few other options too.
- Proxies – Proxies work in a similar way to VPNs by basically hiding your IP address and preventing sites like YouTube from seeing your actual location. With a proxy, you can be in the US but make it seem like you’re browsing from the UK, for example, to access UK-exclusive content. Proxies are pretty easy to use but not as reliable and consistent as VPNs.
- Tor – Another method for unblocking YouTube videos is to use Tor, an anonymous internet network. It’s a little complicated for beginners and can be a little slow too, so might not be the best for high-quality video streaming, but is a good option for those seeking anonymity online.
- Downloads – One final option you might like to try is to download the video that has been blocked. Several sites will let you input a YouTube URL and then download the video to your computer (or other devices). The only problem is that these sites can be quite slow and often have lots of ads. Plus, you won’t be able to share the videos with your friends as easily or leave comments.
Why are YouTube videos blocked?
YouTube videos may be blocked or reserved for certain countries or territories due to rights issues. Often, rights holders will file claims on certain videos that prevent them from being viewed in other parts of the world. In some cases, content is blocked due to social or political concerns, with certain countries and governments blocking access to videos that could cause controversy.
How do you unblock YouTube at school?
To unblock YouTube videos, either at school, work, or at home, you can use a VPN or proxy. This works by hiding your IP address and masking your location, allowing you to get around the geo-restrictions for YouTube and view any videos you like.
What are the best VPNs for YouTube?
Some of the best VPNs for YouTube have been listed above, including ExpressVPN, Cyber Ghost, and Ultra VPN. These VPNs have been designed with speed in mind and can get around geo-blocks and restrictions used on popular video sites like YouTube.
How to use a VPN for YouTube
Using a VPN for YouTube really couldn’t be simpler. All you need to do is choose a VPN to use, install it, click on the Connect button to connect to a secure server in a location where the content is viewable, and then load up your video. If it doesn’t work the first time, simply try again on a new server.
Do I need socks or https proxies for the Chrome browser extension?
Not necessarily. A VPN will be able to let you watch any videos you like on YouTube and takes care of all the encryption and privacy settings automatically, with minimal effort required on your part. All you need to do is install the VPN and let it do the work for you.
Do ISPs know the videos I watch on YouTube?
Effectively, if you aren’t using a VPN, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) can view all of your online activity, watching which sites you visit and indeed seeing which videos you watch on YouTube by tracking the URLs you access. If you want to hide this information and enjoy anonymous YouTube access, you’ll need to use a VPN.
YouTube is an incredible site for entertainment, education, and more, but with geo-blocks and restrictions getting in the way, enjoying the content you love can feel like a challenge. With a VPN, you won’t have to worry about a thing, nor will you need to concern yourself with ISPs and authorities tracking your activity, so download the best value VPN for YouTube today to enjoy unfiltered access to endless hours of video fun.
Read More: 10 Best Websites Like Putlocker